Your Local Charity
Peace Hospice Care is part of the original Peace Memorial Hospital, first opened in 1925 by Princess Mary, the Princess Royal, built as a memorial to those killed in World War One. The Hospital was built thanks to the fundraising of local families. During the 1970s, services were gradually transferred to the new Watford General Hospital, forcing the closure of the Peace Memorial Hospital in 1985.
On 24th June 1991, a group of passionate pioneers from the Watford community set up the South West Hertfordshire Hospital Charitable Trust and ran an appeal to fund a new hospice. By 1992, the Health Authority agreed to a hospice on the then derelict Peace Memorial Hospital site. The appeal raised almost £2 million in four years.
By 1993, the appeal had raised enough money to start a Day Care Centre in a portacabin. After fundraising, the Centre was later transferred to the Hospital building and was officially opened in 1996 by our Royal President, Her Royal Highness Princess Michael of Kent.
Over the following years, our services adapted and grew and from 2000, we opened a new Inpatient Unit, launched the Hospice at Home service and opened our Peace Outpatient Centre.
Families and carers
Our free services and support are available for families and carers too.
Our free services and support are available for …