Thursday, 15 October 2015

When Les Hall was seriously ill, he and his family turned to Peace Hospice Care for support. As his daughter, Jess, told us "The Hospice was a relief in our lives. It brought shelter in the middle of a massive storm."

We hope Jess's story will inspire you to support our work with a donation and help us to be here for all those who need us this winter.

"Dad was lovable, easy-going and very caring.  I was a massive daddy's girl.  He always supported me in what I wanted to do in life.  He told me to follow my dreams.

In October 2011, Dad had a health check.  He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and told he probably wouldn't make it past Easter 2012.

He told mum and when I got home from work, she told me.  You just sink.  Why? Why him?  Why us?  He was the kindest, most loving person. He didn't deserve it.

Dad never wanted us to be scared.  He said he was going to fight it head-on and kept positive, saying "It's happening so let's deal with it."  He was so brave and he defied the odds.

In December 2012, he went into hospital.  He had pneumonia and the chemo had given him diabetes.  He came home on Christmas Eve and we went to the pub for my and my brother's birthday 5 days after Christmas.  That was the last proper time he went out.

Dad started getting infections and was in and out of hospital, always in different wards.  He ended up in Watford General on a trolley bed one night, as they couldn't find a proper bed.  He couldn't lie down.  He looked scared.  He didn't want to die like this.  The staff were very good and eventually found a side-room.

We felt there was no one to turn to.  Dad was dying and it wasn't fair that it had to be like this.  So one night, my brother and I drove to Peace Hospice Care ourselves.  We just knocked on the door.

Dad moved into the Hospice the next afternoon.  It was like a massive weight was lifted.  Dad would be able to rest, it wouldn't be so chaotic and he would get the care he needed.

At first he was adamant that he would only be at the Hospice for a couple of days and would get his strength back.  But after a few days, he was adamant that he was going to stay there.  He felt so comfortable.

Dad went really peacefully. The nurses explained everything. When his breathing changed, they explained it was normal.  They were very respectful and on that journey with us.  We could say goodbye to Dad properly.

After Dad died, Peace Hospice Care gave me some counselling which helped a little, and I know they are always there.  No matter how long down the line, I know I can turn to them.

When Dad first died it was hard driving past the Hospice every day but it's not now.  I look at it and just smile. It was a relief in our life. It brought shelter in the middle of a massive storm.  That's why the charity is so important and it's so important that other people support it.

Dad was amazing.  He gave me the drive to continue and progress. I've got my own house now and been promoted at work.  All these achievements are from what Dad instilled in me.  I hope I'm making him proud still.  The way I live is from the foundations that he built.  No-one and nothing can take that away from me."

With your help we can continue to support people like Jess and her family.  Please give a gift today if you can.  Thank you.