Peace Hospice Care's Starlight Counselling Service is part of a range of support services that the Hospice offers within the Starlight Centre. The Starlight Counselling Service offers:
One to One Counselling for people who are experiencing anxiety, depression, mood swings, panic attacks, sleeplessness, stress or other symptoms that are associated with mild to moderate psychological distress that would benefit from short term counselling (IAPT compliant). People using this service are normally referred by their GP for up to 8 sessions that are usually delivered weekly.
This service is funded by the NHS and is only available if you have been referred by your GP. The time between sessions can be negotiated with the counsellor as long as they are mutually convenient and do not interfere with the therapeutic process. Short term counselling has been found to be a very effective way of supporting people and it is estimated that one in four of us will require this kind of support at some time during our lives. The symptoms come on as a result of any of the following:
- An experience of loss, e.g.: lost relationship, loss of good health, loss of employment
- Receiving a diagnosis of a life limiting condition
- Coping with a life limiting condition
- Stress from work or worry about personal issues
This is not an exhaustive list. All the counsellors involved in providing this service are fully qualified and accredited with considerable experience.
Group Bereavement Support for people who have experienced a recent loss and require additional support after someone they know has died. Most people do not require specialist interventions when someone has died, but some do. Some may experience mild to moderate psychological distress and require the service outlined above. However, some just need help to adjust to their loss.
- Doves Club – lunch at the Toby Carvery in Aldenham, meet up with others who have lost partners (3rd Tuesday of each month 11:30 – 2:00pm)
- In House Bereavement Support Group – supportive group counselling for individuals who are bereaved (meets once a month, 7:00 – 8:30pm)
- Talking Space – weekly talking group led by experienced staff and Spiritual and Emotional Wellbeing Volunteers (informal, drop-in style every Thursday 2:00 – 3:30pm, no appointment necessary)
- Meditation – weekly drop-in group for guided meditation and positive thinking sessions (Tuesdays, 11:45 – 1:30pm)
If you are interested in any of the services above please telephone the Starlight Counselling Service on 01923 330332.
Coming soon - The Starlight Counselling Service at Peace Hospice Care are looking to recruit a team of qualified counsellors to offer their time and expertise voluntarily to support people through a short term one-to-one counselling programme focusing specifically on helping them to adjust to their loss.
This service is not the same as the IAPT service cited above; it is not funded by the NHS.