writing your will it is helpful to calculate the value of your assets, minus
any liabilities, and identify the true value of your estate.
- Your home (current market value)
- Other properties, either in the UK or abroad
- Money - in the bank, in building society accounts, in National Savings or in Premium Bonds
- Any money you are owed
- Business assets (including shares in private companies)
- Life insurance
- Pensions (lump sums payable on death)
- Your car, motorbike, caravan, boat etc
- The contents of your house
- Any other possessions
- Other assets passing as a result of your death
Take the total of all these assets - this is Total A.
What you owe
- Your outstanding mortgage
- Your overdraft
- Any loans
- Any other debts
Take the total of all these debts - this is Total B.
The value of your estate is Total A minus Total B.