Peace Hospice Care's Starlight Counselling Service is part of a range of support services that the Hospice offers within the Starlight Centre. The Starlight Counselling Service offers:
- One to One Counselling for people who are experiencing anxiety, depression, mood swings, panic attacks, sleeplessness, stress or other symptoms that are associated with mild to moderate psychological distress that would benefit from short term counselling (IAPT compliant). People using this service are normally referred by their GP for up to 8 sessions that are usually delivered weekly. The time between sessions can be negotiated with the counsellor as long as they are mutually convenient and do not interfere with the therapeutic process. Short term counselling has been found to be a very effective way of supporting people and it is estimated that one in four of us will require this kind of support at some time during our lives. The symptoms come on as a result of any of the following:
A experience of loss; e.g, lost relationship, loss of good health, loss of employment
Receiving a diagnosis of a life limiting condition
Coping with a life limiting condition
Stress from work or worry about personal issues.
This is not an exhaustive list. All the counsellors involved in providing this service are fully qualified and accredited with considerable experience.
Download GP referral form here
In addition to the service cited above, there is:
- Bereavement Support for people who have experienced a recent loss and who require additional support after someone they know has died. Most people do not require specialist interventions when someone has died, but some do. Some may experience mild to moderate psychological distress and require the service outlined above. However, some just need help to adjust to their loss. The Starlight Counselling Service at the Peace Hospice has a team of qualified counsellors who offer their time and expertise voluntarily to support people through a short term one to one counselling programme focussing specifically on helping them to adjust to their loss. The Service will consider self-referrals, please use the form below and return it to:
Download self referral form here.
- In House Bereavement Group meets once on month on the third Thursday of the month from 7pm - 8.30 pm. This group is open to people who have experienced a bereavement and would like to meet other people with whom they have a shared experience. People attending this group come from very diverse backgrounds, represent a wide age range - the common factor being that they have lost a close relationship and are having difficulty adapting to the changes that bereavement brings. The agenda for the group is participant driven, sometimes the discussion is about when to spread ashes, deal with emptying wardrobes, cooking meals, eating for one, going on holidays etc. Some people gain from the shared experience.
Download self referral form here.
- Telephone support provided by a small team of volunteers, who agree to call regularly for a brief chat. The Starlight Counselling office has an answerphone, so if you have any queries about any aspect of the services we provide , please do call and leave a message so that we can get back to you and answer your queries. The number is 01923 229595
- Doves Club is for people who are bereaved following the death of a partner. Most people attending are over 6o years of age. The group meets monthly - the third Tuesday of every month from 11.30 - 2pm at the Toby Carvery, Aldenham for lunch. An experienced team of volunteers attend and make introductions. The Doves Lunch club has been operational for the last 15 years and provides a social outlet as well as providing bereavement support.
Counselling following or during episodes of depression
This service is provided to young people (aged 16+) and adults by a team of qualified and accredited counsellors. Following an initial session, counsellors will offer up to 8 (50 minute individual sessions) at a mutually convenient time.
Children and young people
If you or your child are between the ages of 10-25 years old, please contact Signpost who offer free and confidential counselling in the Watford area. They can be contacted on 01923 239495 or visit their website for more information.
If you are part of a school or college and need further support for one of your pupils facing bereavement, please click here to find a list of other providers in bereavement care who may be able to help you.
How to make a referral
You can self-refer by calling the Starlight Counselling Office Messaging Service on 01923 229595 or download and complete a Self Referral Form.
In addition to the self-referral form, clients also need to complete and return a consent form - download and complete a Client Consent Form.
Alternatively, you can ask your GP to refer you to the service.
What happens next?
Once a referral is received the Starlight Counselling team will aim to contact you within 20 days to arrange a meeting or telephone discussion. If you need to talk to us please call the Counselling office on 01923 229595.
In an emergency please contact your GP. Should you feel the need to talk to someone outside of office hours the Samaritans are available 24 hours a day on 08457 909090.