Herts Neighbours is a volunteering service that supports families coping with a life-limiting illness. The service provides another way to receive additional practical and emotional support to individuals and their families within their home or care setting.
The Herts Neighbours volunteers are part of Peace Hospice Care's community services and are managed by a service co-ordinator who will visit individuals at home and carry out an assessment to discuss the type of support required and then match a volunteer. Interests, hobbies and past working life are taken into account in order to match an appropriate volunteer.
Herts Neighbours volunteers usually offer 1-3 hours of support per week in the form of:
- Befriending, chatting, companionship
- Taking out to the shops or garden centres
- Errands such as collecting prescriptions and light shopping
- Light house work such as tidying and sorting
- Taking the dog for a walk
- Accompanying individuals to hospital and GP appointments
- Assisting with social media, Skype, Facebook and Facetime to keep in touch with distant relatives and friends
Regular reviews are held to ensure the partnership is working.
Herts Neighbours do not provide cleaning or gardening or medical support. Peace Hospice Care can signpost to organisations that provide these types of services.
Contact 01923 330330 (Main Peace Hospice Care switchboard) or the Palliative Care Referral Centre (PCRC) on 0333 234 0868.
Referrals e-mail: email@example.com
You can help out as a volunteer or patient.
Referral forms can be found here.